Genealogy is a captivating hobby for people of all ages. It’s not only an opportunity to learn about your family’s history, it’s a wonderful way to learn about yourself. As a senior, it’s also a meaningful way to spend time with the younger generations in your family, including your grown children and your grandkids.
If you’ve never taken the leap into the world of genealogy, it’s a great time to start! Our guide will help you learn about and start exploring this engaging pastime with every member of your family.
History of Genealogy
Although genealogy has become increasingly popular in recent years, it has a rich and fascinating history that dates as far back as biblical times. These resources offer a look into the roots of genealogy.
- What Is Genealogy?
- Genealogy – Early Written Records
- Greek Gods Family Tree
- Genealogy in the Bible
- Why Are There So Many Lists of Genealogies in the Bible?
- China Compiled Genealogies
How to Get Started with Genealogical Research
Hiring a professional genealogist is one option for learning about your family’s storied past, but where’s the fun in that? These resources break down how to get started in this pastime on your own.
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Genealogy
- Oral History Interview, Questions, and Topics
- Using Maps in Genealogy
- Finding Your Medieval Roots: Five Simple Tips
- All About Adoption Research: Finding Hidden Family Ties
Genealogy Activities for Kids
Exploring your family’s origins is a great way to bond with your grandchildren. To keep the experience from feeling too much like a history lesson, try the activities suggested in these articles.
- 21 Activities to Get Your Kids Excited About Family History
- 17 Creative Family Tree Ideas + Printables
- Cool Totem Pole Craft Projects for Kids
- Make a Family Tree with Handmade Christmas Ornaments
How to Display Your Family’s History
Once you’ve made discoveries about your heritage, showcasing them in your home is a fun and meaningful conversation piece when guests come over. Here are a few ideas for presenting your familial facts. Bonus points for getting the grandkids to help you create your works of art!
- 7 Ways to Preserve your Family Legacy for the Next Generation
- Family History Decor Ideas
- 12 Family Tree Ideas You Can DIY, Even if You Didn’t Get the Creative Gene
- 13 DIY Family History Crafts and Gifts
- How to Write Your Family History